Since sports betting became legal in New Jersey over 18 months ago, the question for many in South Jersey was whether a book would come to the former Garden State Park complex in Cherry Hill. A Cherry Hill sportsbook? Sure, why not.
Those visions came closer to fruition earlier this month, as the township’s planning board approved an off-track betting (OTB) facility built on a tract of land that was part of the old racecourse.
Penn National Gaming plans to build a 30,000-square-foot restaurant and betting facility open seven days a week. This would return horse racing action to the site of a former track that drew families and fans for generations along Route 70.
While the OTB “Favorites” could bring jobs and patrons to the massive shopping complex (might be a good escape for those who aren’t big fans of hitting up all those stores or the nearby mall), there’s still one major hurdle to overcome to bring a Cherry Hill sportsbook online. That involves a company known for running OTBs across Delaware.
A decision in the fall maintained that former owner Greenwood Gaming maintains the sole rights to offer sports betting at the facility. The company operates Parx Casino, along with two Turf Club locations that offer horse racing and sports action. They have long opposed efforts to bring live betting to Cherry Hill.
Does New Jersey need another live location?
New Jersey has become a template of legal on-site and NJ online sports betting apps, challenging Nevada for top spot in handle monthly now. This fall, the state saw action eclipse $500 million for multiple consecutive months.
The state has shown legal betting works. However, a lot of it has worked because of the ease of online access, which has now taken up around 90 percent of the market.
Retail locations haven’t been uniformly successful in New Jersey. In fact, multiple casinos in AC often lose money in the winter months at their live books.
Could Penn National do better?
They have seen what it takes to stay afloat, as the books at the Meadowlands and Monmouth Park usually do brisk business. Unlike Atlantic City, there’s a strong local popular from which they can draw, either in South Jersey or coming over from Philadelphia.
We don’t know the timeline of a potential appeal of the decision. However, breaking ground on the OTB could certainly speed up the process and create another element for the new judge to consider.
What a year. Here were some of the 2019 sports betting trends that caught our attention.
FanDuel sportsbook logged an array of milestones, large bets, and phenomenal payouts, taking its place as a premier gambling establishment in 2019.
Here are some facts, figures, oohs and ahs from its version of a championship season.
2019 Year in Review
Mattress Mack’s $1.5 million online wagers on the Astros to win the World Series was 2019’s largest single bet of the year at the FanDuel Sportsbook.
It also generated enormous publicity and, significantly for FanDuel, did not have to be paid out, because the Washington Nationals won their first-ever championship.
11/25 marked the FanDuel Sportsbook’s largest parlay payout of 2019. A Customer placed $200 on a 15-leg parlay across NFL/ NBA and NHL Money Lines, which paid $229,276.50.
2019 Sports Betting Trends
- The New York Yankees were the most popular team in 2019.
- They were the most popular by bet count and handle.
- The New York Yankees had nearly 90,000 more bets than any other team
- The Super Bowl was the most popular single game by bet count and handle in 2019
November 3, December 1 and November 24 are the three largest days of the year by bet count and handle in 2019.
NFL Sundays are extremely popular and as we moved closer to the end of the year, PA, WV and IN opened to online sports betting gave the book more customers to place bets.
- Biggest day for Customers winning in 2019 was on Sunday, October 27, 2019
- This was the day of the Sports Equinox when all major sports played on the same day
- The Golden State Warriors were the most popular NBA Team by handle in 2019
- The Philadelphia 76ers were the most popular NBA Team by bet count in 2019
- The Boston Bruins were the most popular NHL Team by handle in 2019
- The Philadelphia Flyers were the most popular team by bet count in 2019
- The New England Patriots were the most popular NFL team by handle in 2019
- The Philadelphia Eagles were the most popular NFL team by bet count
- NBA Finals Game 6 (Raptors @ Warriors on 6/13) was the most popular NBA game by handle
- World Series Game 6 (Nationals @ Astros on 10/29) was the most popular MLB Game by handle
- Game 7 of the Stanley Cup (Blues @ Bruins on 6/12) was the most popular NHL Game by handle
Is there an encore for 2020?
Current NBA Championship Odds 2019-2020
I can’t remember the last time a league’s preseason brought as much action and content as the 2019 offseason for the NBA. The current NBA Championship odds for this year are all over the place when it comes to the best NJ online sports betting apps.
Yes, as a Philadelphia Sixers fan I have tried to erase everything that happened after that ball bounced FOUR TIMES and then my +514 bet on the Warriors to beat the Raptors for the title went down like that Kawhi buzzer-beater.
Alas, here we are, with days to go before the curtain rises on the 2019-20 NBA season. Kawhi Leonard is now on the Clippers with Paul George, Lebron has The Brow, and the Sixers starting line-up is longer than rush hour on the Schuylkill Expressway.
So enough of the geopolitical saber-rattling or who said what on which social media outlet (LOL, that’s gonna follow us into the regular season and playoffs).
Time to tip-off!
Best NBA Championship Prices at NJ Sportsbooks
Philadelphia 76ers NBA Odds
The 76ers had a busy offseason which will lead to a longer line-up (no one shorter than 6’6 starting) and some questions about the offense.
However, videos of Ben Simmons draining 3’s and J’s in the offseason and preseason have sets hearts aflutter across the Delaware Valley. Philly is fourth-choice at most books…
Although DraftKings reports they’ve gotten the second-most handle at 24 percent, just behind the Lakers’ 26 percent in this futures market.
- The best price is with William Hill at +800
LA Clippers odds for 2020
Ever since they moved up the coast from San Diego, the Clippers have been the little brother in LA’s basketball family. Added to a city that houses the most glamorous pro franchise (the Lakers) and college’s historic powerhouse with superstars for decades (the UCLA Bruins), it can be tough to sport the red white and blue in Tinseltown.
Yet a new day dawns for Billy Crystal, Bill Simmons, and all those long suffering Clips fans. When the season stars, PG13, the Klaw, and their teammates will be the top choice to win the NBA Finals in June.
Across the board, they are the lowest price on the boards.
Los Angelos Lakers Current NBA Championship Odds
The second choice among the oddsmakers is the Clippers’ co-tenants at the Staples Center, the Lakers. LeBron James has another young team at his command, led by newly acquired Anthony Davis in the middle.
Can they keep his attention away from Taco Tuesdays and wading into civil liberty battles overseas (remember, LeBron skipped college)?
The books think so.
Milwaukee Bucks Current NBA Championship Odds
Milwaukee, the runners-up in the East last season, has entrenched themselves in third place among the favorites to win the Larry O’Brien trophy. Giannis has another year of experience under his belt and leads a deep team that can be a matchup nightmare to anyone.
While they’re a co-second choice at PointsBet with the Lakers…
Houston Rockets Best NBA Futures Odds
The Houston Rockets round out the top 5 in betting favorites. Russell Westbrook joins longtime rival James Harden in H-Town with a deep roster that can dominate the Southwest division. Can the duo overcome their longtime postseason struggles? Might be worth a small bet.
Currently the best price is +900 at Pointsbet
Best NBA MVP Odds 2020
The NBA has been a star league even before since kids started wanted to “Be Like Mike.” This group is international, diverse, and really exciting to watch over what can be the grind of an 82-game regular season.
The consensus favorite is Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Greek Freak has been frustrating defenses (and PA announcers) with the Bucks and turned the franchise into a contender while winning MVP last season.
- Giannis has the best NBA MVP 2020 odds, with the best price at William Hill at +300
- 2nd is Stephen Curry at +500 at FanDuel, FoxBet, & PointsBet
The books don’t have much faith outside of the top two…
- Harden and Davis are third and fourth (both +800 at William Hill)
- LeBron and Kawhi are the only ones higher than +1000 at the major NJ sportsbooks
If you Trust the Process, Joel Embiid is getting more love from the oddsmakers than his teammate Ben Simmons.
The Sixers center is in the second tier of choices…
- With the highest price +1600 at Hill and FanDuel
- Simmons is no better than 50-1 at most NJ sports betting outlets
DraftKings NBA Current Futures Moneyline Bets
The start of the NFL season is a great time to be a sports bettor. Not only is the NFL one of the most exciting sports to bet one, it also marks a time of the year where sportsbooks offer new customers the biggest NFL sports betting bonus.
Think of it as kind of a Black Friday as you’ll get your best incentives at this time of year.
3 Favorite PointsBet Sports Betting Bonus Offers
Here’s the rundown:
$10,000 Gameday Guarantee
PointsBet will honor a minimum bet-to-win amount of $10,000 for ALL CUSTOMERS on gameday for every single MLB matchup and every single NFL Game. PointsBet will guarantee this “to win” amount on all spreadline and moneyline bets starting at 10:00am ET each gameday.
Risk-Free Bets Up To $1000
This is not a bad way to get started – especially since the NFL can be somewhat unpredictable. What this promo gives you is the opportunity to place two risk-free bets up to $1000. If you lose, you’ll get them back. The bets can be up to $500 each.
Name A Bet – You Name The Bet, We Price It
If you think of a market that is not currently on site (for any sport/event currently offered), tweet @PointsBetUSA & #nameabet and they Will Price It.
Recently, our team here at NJ Gambling Websites put together a 2019 NJ Online Sportsbook Tournament Bracket Championship in honor of this year’s March Madness tournament.
We ranked the top eight NJ online sportsbooks & sports betting apps and placed them in a March Madness-style bracket.
After announcing our little tournament to the masses, we took to Twitter to let the people (aka YOU) decide.
For each matchup, we created a poll, and let the people of Twitter decide the fate of each NJ online sportsbook.
After all the votes were tallied, here’s how the first round played out:
No. 1 seed DraftKings defeats No. 8 seed William Hill
Yes, DraftKings is currently the leading daily fantasty sports (DFS) operator, but how did they take down a legit sports-betting giant like William Hill so easily?
DraftKings’ three keys to victory
- Preparation: DraftKings had been eyeing up the competition long before sports betting was legalized in NJ, and it became the first fully legal NJ online/mobile sports betting platform.
- Integration: The DraftKings’ DFS platform and its online sportsbook share the same interface and online wallet, making it convenient for customers in more ways than one.
- Easy, fast and fun: DraftKings break down any complicated subject matter into simple terms, and it offers a ton of betting options, including both traditional and modern bets to keep everyone happy.
The company known for its PokerStars platform becomes a No. 2 seed and dominates 888sport.
BetStars’ three keys to victory
- Mobile app: Downloading the BetStars app is significantly quicker than most NJ sports betting apps, which inspires confidence in the security of the platform.
- Promos and bonuses: When it comes to player promotions, BetStars is at the top of its game. From huge new player sign-up bonuses to simplified matched bets, it does it all.
- Customer service: The parent company for BetStars, the Stars Group, strives to provide quality service to its players, across all the platforms. This type of customer support goes a long way, obviously.
No. 6 seed SugarHouse upsets No. 3 seed FanDuel
SugarHouse looks to be the next Cinderella story as it stuns FanDuel in a photo-finish upset.
SugarHouse’s three keys to victory
- OG of Integration: SugarHouse was the first of its kind to merge its NJ online casino and sports betting app on creating the shared wallet.
- Betting innovators: SugarHouse Sportsbook is well-known for its in-game betting, bet variety and innovative options, like the ever-popular jackpot parlay.
- New player bonuses: SugarHouse treats its new players quite well with a generous first-deposit bonus of up to $250. Use promo code PLAY250 to claim yours. However, FanDuel does have a $500 risk-free bet offer, but sometimes less is more.
Even though they came in as a small underdog, PointsBet embarrassed Caesars without even breaking a sweat.
PointsBet’s three keys to victory
- Spread betting specialist: PointsBet is well-known for its unique wagering option to betting the spread, in which it provides added benefits. For example, bettors have the opportunity to increase its winnings based on the size of the team’s lead.
- Attractive welcome bonus: PointsBet offers a huge welcome bonus worth up to $1,050 in free bets. Use promo code PLAY50.
- Winning opportunities: PointsBet offers high-risk, high-reward wagering, and NJ bettors can’t get enough.
Click below and make your vote count to see which NJ online sports betting site wins it all!