No other state has more online casino activity than New Jersey. There are more than 20 apps offering their services to residents and visitors of the Garden State. There are so many options, opportunities, and things to consider that you might not know even where to begin.
Well, you’ve come to the right place. This page serves as your complete guide for how to get started with NJ online casino apps, how to play, and what some of the best options are.
Best of all, this page is an up-to-date resource for all the best bonuses and promotions at New Jersey’s online casinos. So, make sure to check back frequently, as some of the promos you find here simply cannot be found elsewhere.
Best NJ online casino apps for 2021
What type of device do I need to play?
The first thing to do if you’re interested in New Jersey’s online casinos is make sure that you can actually access the apps. The good news is that the vast majority of people today own a device capable of installing and running these games.
In general, if you own a device that uses either the iOS or Android operating system, you will have no trouble with New Jersey casino apps. Very few, if any, online casinos in New Jersey do not offer dedicated apps for both types of device.
So, if you own the following brand of device, you’re in good shape:
- iPhone (iOS)
- iPad (iOS)
- iPod Touch (iOS)
- Google (Android)
- Sony (Android)
- Samsung (Android)
- HTC (Android)
- Motorola (Android)
- LG (Android)
This list is not meant to be exhaustive. Apple can always release a new iOS-compatible device, and there are many smaller brands that use Android as their operating system.
If you are still not sure, contact your phone retailer or data provider for more information.
How to Download a New Jersey Online Casino
Assuming that you have one of the devices listed above, the first step to playing online is to download the app. The good news is that the process for downloading a New Jersey casino app to your phone is mostly the same as for any other app.
Apple devices have a rather easy time of things. There is no difference between downloading a casino app and any other type of application to your phone or tablet. So, use the following steps to get started:
- Choose your favorite website, click through our secure link above, and take note of any bonus or promotional code.
- Look for the button that has the Apple logo on it, and press it.
- You should now be on the download page for the app. Press “GET” to begin the download to your device.
- You may have to confirm that you want to install the app. Make sure to accept if you are queried.
- However, there should never be an expense or payment required to download a New Jersey online casino app. If you’ve somehow ended up on a download page with a price, DO NOT PROCEED. Backtrack and make sure you get the right link.
- After that, the installation process should be automatic.
Make sure that you have at least iOS version 8.0 before you begin running the apps. To be safe, go ahead and upgrade to version 9.0, as there are a few apps that require it.
Android devices have an extra step to navigate in the download process. Due to Google’s refusal to allow gambling apps in the Google Play Store, it is necessary to use a more direct method for downloading. However, the extra step is not difficult, and the apps will work fine afterwards.
- Go into your device’s Settings menu, and look for the Security tab.
- Under that tab, you will need to enable downloads from “Unknown Sources.”
- Afterwards, choose your favorite website, click through our secure link above, and take note of any bonus or promotional code.
- Look for the button that has the Android code on it, and press it.
- You may go straight to the site itself, but wherever you go, you should automatically receive a prompt to download the .apk file to your phone.
- Once the download is complete, click on the file within your device to begin the installation process.
Make sure that you have Android version 5.1 before you attempt to run the application.
How to Register for a New Jersey Online Casino Account
Regardless of what type of device you use, the next step will be the same. You will need to register yourself for a new account in order to play. So, follow these steps to proceed:
- Look for a prominently-displayed button in the upper right corner of the display. It should say a word or phrase like “Register,” “Sign Up,” “Get Started,” or something similar.
- Press the button.
- Once you have pressed the button, the casino will whisk you away to its registration screen(s).
- On the registration screen, the casino will ask you to provide various bits of personal information and identification. Be prepared to provide the following:
- Legal and/or Full Name
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Last four digits or complete Social Security Number
- Answers to 2 – 3 challenge questions for security purposes
- Make sure to keep your username and password secure. Online casinos typically hold your financial information, so you need to safeguard against access by unauthorized people.
- You may also encounter a space to fill in any promotional codes you may have. Make sure not to miss out on free money or offers by leaving this blank.
- After you’ve filled out your information, hit “Submit,” and you’ll be set to go.
Do not be surprised or feel pressured if the site takes you directly from registration to the cashier. Although you might be ready to plunk down your first deposit, take a minute both to look around the site itself and for any promo codes that would apply to you.
New Jersey Casino App Features
Online casinos have a tough job. They must package all the excitement of playing in a land-based casino into a mobile application, and they must operate with their rivals a few button pushes away.
So, there are several methods that NJ online casino apps have at their disposal to distinguish themselves. As it turns out, although the products are similar across the board, not all apps are created equal.
Bonuses and Promotions
One of the easiest ways to engender loyalty from both new and existing customers is just to give things away. More specifically, many NJ online casino apps employ a variety of bonuses and promotions to reward customers for their continued patronage.
Bonuses come in many shapes and sizes. However, the reward itself usually comes in one of three forms – no deposit bonus, bonus dollars, and cash.
Both no deposit bonuses and bonus dollars require the player to bet through them at least once in order to convert them into withdrawable cash. This requirement is known as the playthrough or wagering requirement.
For some bonuses, the playthrough requirement can be many multiples of the award. It’s not uncommon to see requirements greater than 20 times the bonus amount, meaning that you must wager $20 for every $1 you earned from the bonus.
Many bonuses also come with time limits attached to them. After the expiration date, remaining bonus funds revert back to the casino app, never to be seen again.
So, it pays to read through the terms and conditions of an offer before you accept it. Here are some of the most common bonus types you may encounter:
- No-deposit bonuses
- Do not require any kind of investment
- Usually given to reward registration of new accounts
- Deposit bonuses
- App matches all or a percentage of deposit
- Almost always has playthrough requirement
- Cashback bonuses
- App issues refund for all or percentage of net loss
- Usually dispensed as bonus dollars and requires small playthrough
- Play earns entries into random drawing
- Prizes are usually non-cash benefits, like trips and restaurant opportunities
- Leaderboard bonuses
- Players compete with one another for set time period by earning points
- Highest point recipients win prizes – usually cash or bonus funds
- Reward only dispenses if referred friend begins to play
- Can be quite lucrative
Not all bonuses are good deals. In fact, if you weigh the bonus amount against the time and loss you will expend trying to get it, you may discover that a bonus is a losing proposition.
Still, it’s a good idea to grab whatever free money the app wants to give away. Don’t miss out on opportunities, as they get fewer in number the longer you play.
Obviously, the quality and quantity of games that an app offers is a big deal. A casino with a paucity of options simply isn’t going to hold players’ attention for very long.
So, here are some of the types of games that you might find on New Jersey casino apps.
Every casino app begins its selection with slots. The most common type of game in land-based casinos is also the most common type of game for virtual venues.
Although slot machines vary in terms of their presentation, the concept remains the same that it has been for more than a century. A player spins 3 – 5 reels in an attempt to line up various combinations of symbols emblazoned upon them.
In many cases, you can find the same slot titles in New Jersey casino apps that you can in Atlantic City casinos themselves. Game publishers like Net|Ent, IGT, and Scientific Games have deals with many of New Jersey’s virtual casinos. In some cases, there might be games online that you cannot find elsewhere.
Popular titles include:
- Divine Fortune
- Quick Hits
- Siberian Storm
- Wheel of Fortune
Of course, this list is not exhaustive in the slightest. The truth of the matter is that you can probably find any slot you want somewhere in New Jersey’s casino app constellation. All it takes is some legwork.
Video poker is often lumped together with slot machines, both in terms of its presentation and location within a casino property. However, the level of control that players exert over video poker games renders them a separate commodity from the “one-armed bandits.”
Video poker players seek to make the best five-card draw hand of poker that they can make. Based upon the strength of their hands, they receive payouts that are multiples of their wagers.
In a sense, video poker is perhaps the last bastion where five-card draw poker remains in vogue. Although the selection of video poker games will never be as broad as slot machines, many New Jersey casino apps will offer a few titles for players to use.
Table games are the other main attraction for most people visiting a casino, be it virtually or in-person. These games of chance involving cards, wheels, and dice hold a particular romance for a segment of the gambling public. So, it makes sense that they appear in New Jersey casino apps, too.
While there is variation from app to app, most New Jersey online casinos offer around 10 options for table games. In general, these opportunities tend to be variants of three or four games.
Games that you may find on New Jersey casino apps include:
- Mississippi Stud
- Ultimate Texas Hold’em
- Casino Hold’em Poker
- Pai Gow Poker
- Let It Ride
- Hi-Lo Solitaire
These games all function with the same rules, odds, and formats as their live brethren. So, other than the essential strangeness of playing them online, there is no big difference between table games on casino apps and in casinos themselves.
Of course, no type of game blurs the line between live and online more than the live dealer games. This group of games, pioneered in the US by Golden Nugget, connects players on the mobile app to actual dealers conducting games in real-time.
Players are able to interact both with the dealers and with the game itself. Instead of relying upon a computerized facsimile of a game to determine the outcome, you can actually see the cards the dealer is drawing or the number that the roulette ball falls into.
Most live dealer games broadcast from a special studio onsite at the resident Atlantic City casino for the app. However, there are some variants that take place on the actual casino floor.
The result is a level of verisimilitude that was previously unheard in the virtual space. Needless to say, live dealer games are incredibly popular, and have helped to propel Golden Nugget into a commanding position for New Jersey’s online casino market share.
There are other casino games that have app versions available to you. It is possible to find keno, bingo, or lottery-type games online from time to time.
As these games are less popular, they are not featured on as many apps. However, some diligent research should pay dividends if you have a burning passion to mark numbers as they are called.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are casino apps legal in New Jersey?
Yes. Online casinos have been completely legal and active in New Jersey since 2013.
Are casino apps safe?
Completely. Most of them are owned and operated by large gambling companies, and the entire industry is overseen by the New Jersey Department of Gaming Enforcement, a branch of the state government.
Who is allowed to play on New Jersey online casinos?
Anyone who is over the age of 21 and inside the state can play on the apps.
Do I have to be a resident of New Jersey to play?
No. As long as you are 21 years or older, you need only be within the state lines of the Garden State to take part.
Can I play from outside the state?
No. Regardless of whether you live in New Jersey or not, it is impossible to play on New Jersey casino apps from outside the state.
The apps themselves render it impossible by using special software to pinpoint your geographic location. You will be denied service unless and until the app can verify that you are inside the state.
What games are available on the NJ casino apps?
Most games found in live casinos are available on apps. They include:
- Video poker
- Table games
- Live dealer games
Can I play poker using an online casino app?
The casino apps themselves do not support online poker. However, there are several dedicated poker apps in New Jersey, and a few of them are integrated with their casino app partners.
Can I bet sports on New Jersey casino apps?
It depends on the app. Similar to poker apps, it is possible to find sports betting integrated with casino partners on various apps.
How do I get money into and out of my account?
Most casino apps will offer a variety of methods for making deposits and withdrawals. Those methods include:
- Credit/debit cards
- Electronic wallets (PayPal, Skrill, etc.)
- Prepaid cards
- Online bank transfers/Wire transfers
- PayNearMe (via 7-Eleven)
- Cash at the land-based partner’s cage
Do New Jersey’s apps do anything for responsible gaming?
Yes. Most casino apps have resources and links to assist players who are struggling with problem gambling. It is also possible to self-exclude from access to the apps – the prohibition can last anywhere from a year to permanently.